Subject: Re: 1.5.3 status
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/30/2002 21:11:57
At 9:28 PM -0500 3/30/02, Allen Briggs wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 06:16:42PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>>  > ?  It also appears that MSDOSFS is enabled in the install kernel.
>>  > Anyone know why that might be the case?  I can't think when it might be
>>  > necessary.
>>  Probably since it's the one file system we and MacOS know how to write
>>  easily. :-)
>
>Hmmm...  Good point.  Will anyone actually 'fess up to using MSDOSFS to
>shuttle files from MacOS to NetBSD (or vice versa) with the install
>kernel?  ;-)

Sure, I'll 'fess up.  I've formatted the swap partition as FAT16 for
the purpose.

Until we get the Next variant of FFS supported that's the only hard
disk format we have in common with OSX.

If someone is using my trick of just copying the install kernel and
ofwboot.xcf to an MSDOS floppy for OF booting is there an advantage
to having MSDOS support in the install kernel?  I don't think so,
except that you could avoid duplicating ofwboot.xcf inside the
compressed RAM disk (if you could also teach sysinst where to find
it).

Related question:  Can you fit more on the floppy if it's MSDOS than
if it's FFS?