Subject: Re: 1.5.3 status
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/30/2002 23:41:59
On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 09:52:49PM -0600, Donald Lee wrote:
> I would think that networking and filesystems (MSDOS, ISO) would be top
> priority items for the boot floppy

Sure.  I'd rather not cut anything--the INSTALL kernel is already pretty
stripped, and the ramdisk has the bare essentials.  If we need to pull
up the changes from -current, then that's what we need to do--it's just
awfully late to be thinking about that (and that's at least partially my
fault for not noticing this earlier).

In any case, I don't really see anything in the kernel that can be
stripped without losing some functionality.  I chose some of the PCI
network drivers, forgetting that there are desktop macs that don't
have built-in ethernet, and not even thinking about busted on-board
ethernet.

The boot floppy has basically ethernet, disk, CD, keyboard, and basic
display devices.  Not much else.

I'll take a look at the -current setup and see what it might take to
back-port that to the branch.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...