Subject: Re: need help with boot problem
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/29/2002 13:34:22
In message <20020327204822.GR511@acheron.in.hades>, Mason Loring Bliss writes:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 11:05:31AM -0800, Jon Buller wrote:

[ broblem booting a mac 8500 deleted ]

For those that remember the details or want a hint: the 8500 roms
want you to say "/onetbsd" instead of just "onetbsd" for the boot
file, either as the second arg to the boot command, or as the nvram
variable boot-file.  I have no idea why "netbsd" works either with
or without the leading slash, but it does.  (Thanks, Allen!)

> Can you type "continue" and have everything "go" from here? I had this
> happen yesterday. (I netboot my machine, but it's possible your problem is
> similar.) I was able to "continue" from ddb until I corrected the issue.

  Open Firmware, 1.0.5
  To continue booting the MacOS type:
  BYE<return>
  To continue booting from the default boot device type:
  BOOT<return>
   ok
  0 > boot scsi-int/sd@0:0 /netbsd
  >> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.5
  >> (chs@pm2.chuq.com, Sat Dec 22 21:38:57 PST 2001)
  3731292+218516 [187648+156294]=0x4186dc
   start=0x100000
  [ using 344556 bytes of netbsd ELF symbol table ]
  panic: uvm_page_physload: start >= end
  Stopped in pid 0 () at  cpu_Debugger+0x10:      lwz     r0, r1, 0x14
  db> continue
  rebooting

  EXIT called ok
  0 >

So the answer appears to be "no".  This kernel was built from
sources pulled on March 27.  It happens for both the GENERIC kernel,
and my custom kernel.  I could really use a little help with this,
since I need "options MROUTING" and the 1.5ZA GENERIC snapshot
doesn't have that in it.  (The GENERIC kernel from that snapshot
is the only one I've been able to boot.)

> The solution for me was to make sure my ofwboot.elf was up to date. I moved
> in a newly-built copy, and my iMac thenceforth booted without interruption
> or undue complaint.

That's the next thing I'll be trying, but the boot blocks were installed
from the ZA snapshot, so I'm not to sure it will help a lot...

Jon