Subject: Re: AWACS driver question
To: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/29/2002 10:25:18
On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Emiel Kollof wrote:

> On Thursday 28 March 2002 18:26, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > Look at Darwin. I've started adding bits of the Darwin audio drivers, but
> > haven't finished. Since it's Apple's code in MacOS X, I'd consider it a
> > very good reference. It's a bit weird as it's c++, but that's not too bad.
>
> Are you looking at Darwin's KExts? Or is the awacs driver available in xnu?

IO/Drivers/Audio/AppleOnboardAudio .

One problem we'll have is that Apple has three drivers for what we are
trying to use the awacs one for. I think we'll need to split it.

> > Go for it. :-)
>
> I just might :) But one more question: what about the Apple licensing? Is
> porting the Darwin AWACS driver to NetBSD allowed?

Two points:

1) you were talking about porting a Linux driver, and you're worried about
the APSL? :-) APSL technically can go in a kernel we redistribute (though
it's not certain if we want to), GPL can't.

2) You don't port the driver, you use it as documentation as to how the
hardware works. You write ALL the code yourself (no copy & paste). It's
probably appropriate to say you used it as a resource.

Take care,

Bill