Subject: Re: fink, pkgsrc (was Re: powerbook g4)
To: None <paulbeard@mac.com, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ab.use.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/29/2002 02:18:41
| I have been working on getting pkgsrc to work on OS X and it
| hasn't gone well so far.

First thing I ran into was case-insensitivity on HFS+ partitions.
My OS X root partition is, naturally, HFS+.  Guess what happens
when pkgsrc/devel/cvs conflicts with pkgsrc/devel/CVS.  Whee.

Oh well, FFS partition + symlinks will probably do it.

| Plus there's the annoyance of having lots
| of stuff installed that pkgsrc may/will end up replicating.

Whatever happened to openpackages?

| I suggest anyone who is considering a newer Mac take a look at OS
| X and fink before they knock it.

Fink is missing packages, has a lousy conflict and dependency
management system (and dselect, ugh), and has nowhere nearly
as nice a way of looking at what patches are going to be applied
to what version of a given piece of software.

Do you do fink "-current"?

| fink is an enhancement to OS X
| where NetBSD is a replacement for it

NetBSD > pkgsrc.  The latter would be handy, for choice.

| and it's not like you can't compile from source if what you need
| isn't available through fink.

Sure,  you can keep your own /usr/local/... just like in the
old days before pkgsrc/ports/fink/etc. -- nothing stops you.
I think these systems make updating packages + dependencies
alot easier, and pkgsrc does have the advantage of allowing
one to share trees among computers with different architectures...

	Sean.