Subject: pkgsrc (was: Re: powerbook g4)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Latham <rob@terizla.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/28/2002 23:45:20
On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 07:18:00PM -0500, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> Why isn't it??
>
> NetBSD's PackageSource collection works on Solaris, Linux, and
> Darwin/MacOSX.

hm, how do you mean 'works'?  without patching, about 30% of the
packages i'd like to have build.  Darwin is sufficiently different,
and the porting effort sufficiently young, that many many packages
will not build w/o a lot of handholding and patching.

bigest problems ( see eric gillespie's post to tech-pkg from 6 weeks
ago ):
. case sensitive file system
. mach-o binaries. dylib ( shared libraries ) and bundles ( loadable
  modules ) are distinct things, whereas in ELF, a .so can be both.
. configure scripts generated from an older config.sub and
  config.guess that don't know how to target pwerpc-darwin-5.2
. many buildlink packages add -R ( rpath) to the LDFLAGS.  the os x
  linker will exit with an error if that flag is passed

most of these problems can be dealt with bug agc is 'busy' as is epg.
I'm a linux wanker and am not in netbsd or os x often enough to
contribute anything meaningful.  There are a couple other people
building packages, but pkgsrc on darwin needs more people and a good
deal more work before we can say "it works".

==rob

--
Rob Latham                                        Woodridge, IL USA
EAE8 DE90 85BB 526F 3181                   1FCF 51C4 B6CB 08CC 0897