Subject: Re: Neat drive speed measurement graphs
To: Jeff Laughlin <jlaughli@vtc.edu>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/27/2002 23:03:43
Bear in mind that these graphs are not so interesting as a test of *disk*
speed, because what you are almost certainly seeing in your benchmarking is
the effect of the system cache.  The system cache behavior can be notoriously
unpredictable for stuff like this, esp. with UBC.

In fact, if the benchmark program is not carefully written, you may also
be seeing the effect of library (libc/stdio) buffering.

The actual transfer speeds (0-4000 Mbits - red zone) is actually pretty poor
for a fast SCSI drive.  I get closer to 2 MBytes/sec on my Power center 132
with a 300Mhz G3 in it when moving data to/from the other macs with netatalk.

You might try running to the raw device, if you aren't already.  That
should be a little more predictable.

???

-dgl-