Subject: need help with boot problem
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/27/2002 11:05:31
I've got an 8500 running the NetBSD 1.5ZA snapshot.  I've previously
done all this sort of thing with NetBSD/pc532 and NetBSD/sparc,
but ran into some unexpected problems while doing the same things
with NetBSD/macppc.

What I did was to try getting a custom kernel running on the machine.
After I got the kernel built, I did 'mv /netbsd /onetbsd' and 'cp
./netbsd /netbsd'  OK, actually I put them in /stand, and made hard
links to them.  When I rebooted, I ended up looking at a ddb prompt,
so I figured I built a bogus kernel, set the boot-file variable to
onetbsd and rebooted the machine.  This put me in ddb the same way
the new kernel did.  To back out of this, I hadd to boot my install
floppy, mount the root filesystem, move onetbsd back to netbsd,
reset the boot-file and reboot.  Then it started working fine again.

How do I get a new kernel in?  That procedure works fine on sparcs
and pc532s.  Does the macppc boot loader need something more than
the file name of the kernel on the boot partition?  What did I do
wrong?

Jon