Subject: Re: powerbook g4
To: None <kevdig@rcn.com, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/26/2002 17:32:24
At 2:48 PM -0800 3/26/02, Kevin Diggs wrote:
>Hi,
>
>     Is it really that much more powerful than an x86 notebook, given that you
>will have to put up with the way apple treats users who want to run ...
>alternate OSes?

It's difficult to find an x86 notebook with *all* the stuff that the
TiBook has built-in.
	1 Firewire
	Gigabit Ethernet
	2 USB
	VGA output (independent, doesn't have to mirror screen)
	S-video (ditto)
	Stereo speakers (with lousy bass)
	Stereo Headphone jack
	PC-Card slot
	802.11 wireless networking with no antenna tab sticking out
	CD/RW/DVD Combo drive
	1152 X 768 pixel screen

If you know you won't ever need some of this stuff then you can
probably save some $$ and buy an x86 laptop that only has what you
want.  I *think* if you want what's included the prices are
competitive.

The down side is that the only OS that supports all the power-saving
hardware features is MacOS 9.  NetBSD will undoubtedly always run
behind even OSX in providing full hardware support.