Subject: sysctl output for devel/cpuflags package
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/26/2002 14:31:54
I was trying out the devel/cpuflags on a Mac 8500 I have, and
noticed that it does not have any support for the PowerPC processors
at the moment.  I sent abs@ a note containing what works for my
8500 with a G3 upgrade, and my guesses for the rest, but I thought
it might be a good idea to get the real information from people
with actual hardware.

Could people send the output of "sysctl -n hw.model" and
"sysctl -n hw.machine" for various machines and processors so we
can compile a list?  For example, my machine reports:

     $ sysctl -n hw.model
     750 (Revision 202)
     $ sysctl -n hw.machine
     macppc

I could tear my box apart and put the original 604 back in to double
check that, but I'd rather get someone else to tell me if they can.
8^) The biggest curiousity is what a 603e or 604e machine would
report.  I'm also curious if those GCC flags will have as much
effect as they do on my SPARCStation.  Mine has a multiply
instruction, the default flags use a function call to emulate it
instead.  That is so the code will run on older hardware.  As you
can probably guess, things like ssh's RSA encryption run a lot
faster if you don't emulate one of the fundemental building blocks.

Jon