Subject: Re: powerbook g4
To: Siegmund Fuhringer <sifu@isohypse.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/26/2002 10:20:51
Siegmund Fuhringer <sifu@isohypse.org> writes:

> i want to buy a new notebook and have a powerbook g4 in mind.
> now i would like to know if it is well supported from netbsd.

It's supported and works moderately well. The things that don't work
so well are mostly laptop features like sleep/wakeup, battery
monitoring, video mirroring, and so on. But if you just want to boot
the machine and run, it's fine.

> and i would also like to know if applications like galeon, gnome, usw...
> are running on an powerbook. (currently i've only intel/amd based
> computers)

The GNOME software works fine on NetBSD/macppc. I run galeon as my
primary web browser these days on an iBook, and get moderate use of
gnumeric and a couple of other GNOME apps.

As someone else mentioned, you might be happier with OS X if you want
really good hardware support in a BSD-like universe. So you can buy a
PowerBook knowing that you can fall back to OS X if NetBSD doesn't
suit your needs.

        - Nathan