Subject: Re: Mysql-server
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/25/2002 09:35:38
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Donald Lee wrote:

> OK.  My bad.
>
> When installing the mySQL binary package, it complains that perl is
> not installed.  It is, but not via the package mechanism.
>
> Is there a simple way to tell the package system that perl is there,
> without re-installing it as a package?  I know I can use "pkg_add -f",
> but that would also force installation if other stuff (that may _not_
> be installed) is missing.

No, there isn't a way to do this. It's a design decision. The problem is
that pkgsrc is designed to be internally consistent. That means that for
instance perl is configured to do certain things that the pkgsrc perl
modules will expect. I'm not 100% on all of the perl config, but I doubt
your perl has the same config. So the perl you have won't do what pkgsrc
needs.

Thus you should install the pkgsrc perl. :-)

Take care,

Bill