Subject: Duh? Is there something *seriously* broken in -current?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@stack.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/22/2002 00:48:09
Hello,

This is going to be a rather sad story, and probably a rather lengthy
one, as I *really* don't know what went wrong, exactly. Let's just
say that I'm having a rather bad week, with lots of things going wrong.

I'm running (or rather: Used to be running) NetBSD-1.5ZC (-current as of
earlier today) on a Beige G3/233. The system had been smoothly for
a few hours.

Since I was running rather low on diskspace, I decided to swap one of the
harddisks (The original WD Caviar, which was configured as primary slave)
by something bigger. Therefor, I disconnected the IDE CD-ROM drive
(secondary master), and replaced it with a "new" drive, in order to
copy all files from the 4GB caviar to this disk.

I created a disklabel. So far so good. However, I got sidetracked by
something more urgent, and didn't touch this disk for an hour or so. In
the mean time, I have been compiling a few things.

I newfs'ed the new filesystem, makeing *sure* I used the right device
(Because of this already being a rather bad week at that point ;). So far
so good. Since I still had to copy my files from the old disk to the "new"
one, I mounted my new filesystem (/dev/wd2g) when the machine suddenly went
dead.  As in: Real dead. Mouse pointer not moving, no harddisk activity, not
reachable from the network. I rebooted the system, only to be confronted
with a "Cannot LOAD from this device" from Open Firmware. Booting with
an installation floppy revealed that the first harddisk, the secondary
master of 8GB, had been wiped. No disklabel. I restored the disklabel
(I knew how I laid out the thing), and tried to figure out whatever was
left from my filesystems, wich was rather.. nothing.  I removed the harddisk,
hooked it into a working i386 box, and started searching for some strings which
I *knew* had to be on them. Nothing there, the disk had been overwritten by the
same sequence of a few diskblocks over and over again. Needless to say,
the rest of the filesystems on that disk were gone too.

Okay. So now I'm back to square one, with an installation of the 1.5ZA
snapshot. Could anybody please explain me what whent wrong here?

It *almost* seems like the system somehow mixed up wd0 and wd2, writing
data which *should* belong on wd2 to wd0. Then again, my wd2 turned out
to have a nice disklabel, and a fresh clean filesystem!

Is there some wicked bug in 1.5ZC? Last time I updated my -current was
last week around the same time. Have I made a stupid error?

Kind regards,

Martijn (Who seriously considers staying in bed for the rest of the week)

--
    Martijn van Buul -  Pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333