Subject: Re: help debugging SCSI on (very) old world PPC
To: None <kevdig@rcn.com>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/20/2002 15:42:16
Kevin Diggs wrote:
> Paul,
>
>     This is kind of what you should see. But you probably should not see
> units other than 0 showing up for most peripherals. Very few peripherals
> have units other than 0 (That bernoulli thing is an exception. It has
> the CAPABILITY of having a unit 1). Whenever you see units other than
> unit 0 showing up it means something strange is happenning. I'd start
> looking into termination on this bus. Including making sure that term
> power is present.

term power is present: there's a jumper inside that has to moved
to make it happen (it's a documented misfeature on this unit).
Bear in mind this scanner does work with MacOS.

>     I see this multiple unit stuff if I try a show-children after I have
> had to hard reboot the machine from NetBSD because the stuff on the bus
> is still sync and the inquiry command fails. This is how I force a SCSI
> bus reset.

I guess I'm confused here: what other devices are there? I see the
possibilities of devices (on units 1-7) but nothing identified. is
it a problem that we have these device 70 units being listed?

On the internal bus, I don't see that on each target, but then I
also don't see an additional hard drive or the CD drive.