Subject: Re: SystemDisk 2.3.1. question
To: None <andy@neu.net, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/18/2002 09:22:10
At 5:49 PM -0500 3/17/02, andy@neu.net wrote:
>I am trying to install netbsd 1.5.2 on a beige minitower powerMac G3 with
>2.0f1 firmware.  I have done everything exactly according to the
>documentation, the installation was successful.  The problem I am having
>happens when I try to run SystemDisk.  I downloaded and created the
>Disktools boot disk, it works and the machine boots into the Mac desktop.
>Then, I select "eject disk" from the special menu and insert the
>SystemDisk.  The disk is ejected and I am prompted for the Disktools disk,
>at this point the machine crashes.

I haven't heard of SystemDisk being used to actually create a system disk.

.smi stands for self-mounting image.  I suspect that you could boot
from the disk tools floppy and then somehow mount the .smi while
running from that OS.  Either find some disk space that MacOS can
use, or maybe find a boot CD and then put SystemDisk.smi on a floppy
and mount it from that.

It also should be possible to mount the .smi and copy the contents to
a floppy, but if you can do that maybe you can just run it at that
time directly?  I'm not sure of your constraints.