Subject: fork: Cannot allocate memory
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron Mildenstein <buh@mildenstein.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/04/2002 17:15:42
I am running NetBSD 1.5.2 on a Beige PowerMac G3 (OF 2.0.4) 266MHz with
512M of RAM.  I have never dipped below 390M of free memory, and yet in my
daily cronjob email I see "fork: Cannot allocate memory" messages at the
point where it would fork the /etc/security script, and other such.  I've
tried recompiling the kernel, and tweaking memory setting to eradicate
these messages, but to no avail.  Can anyone give me an answer as to why
this message crops up?  Is it a bug that's been fixed in recent -current
snapshots?  It this related to the NEWPMAP thread I've seen going around?
This is my first "at bat" with NetBSD.  I've been a FreeBSD user and
SysAdmin for a long time now.  I'd love to put this Mac to good use, but
can't until I can resolve this strange issue.

Any explanations would be most helpful!

Aaron Mildenstein