Subject: NetBSD install on G4 titanium
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Nomad.fr <miconof@yahoo.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/03/2002 21:56:53
Hello every body
I just got a powerbook G4 titaniun 550 with 256mo ram and 30go hard drive.
Openfirmware vertion: Apple PowerBook3,3 4.2.9f1 BootROM

I format my hard drive with 6 partion:
- 1go mac os9 (hfs)
- 8 go mac osX (hfs+)
- 5 go applications (hfs+)
- 11,7 go home (por mac os9 et mac os x) (hfs+)
- 256 mo swap (format unix pour netbsd)
- 2go root (format unix pour netbsd)

I tried to configure my openfirmware with the tool "SystemDisk"
because it work on my blue/white G3, but it doesn't work at all on
the G4.
I tried this:

/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:9,OFWBOOT.XCF
I think that if i put this command above in "SystenDisk" with
"NETBSD.MACPPC" as startup file in fact it should work but when i
tried it after reboot my screen stayed grey.

I tried the same command with:
ofwboot.elf
boot.fs

and as startup file i also tried with:
netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz
netbsd-generic.gz
netbsd.GENERIC.gz
netbsd.INSTALL.gz

I tested those files, i don't remember the ones that were giving the
grey screen and also the ones that were booting on mac os9 after the
computer search for the starting up partition.
None of them worked.

I'd like to know which files would boot my G4 on NetBSD install and
which one to use for NetBSD boot after it is installed, and where i
can dowload them ?
thanks
--
Nomad.fr