Subject: Re: PowerMac 8500: boot from install CD?
To: NetBSD-ppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/01/2002 07:17:40
In message <200203010528.g215STk02575@panix1.panix.com>,
 wrote:

>will this machine boot from an install CD? I have a spare floppy drive I
>can put in the machine if I have to, but I'd really rather boot from CD
>if possible.

First of all, you need patched SystemDisk, on order to make
keyboard/video available for OpenFirmware.
<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/of105patch.html>

Then, instructions are found at
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.2/macppc/INSTALL.html>
You can either download an ISO image or build one from distribution
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html>

Don't hope to use XWindow on this machine. There's no support for the
video card, the only device is the slooooow 640*480 OpenFirmwre
console. It works, though.

HTH,

--
Xav