Subject: Mac newbie install questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Neil Ludban <nludban@columbus.rr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/24/2002 13:44:15
Hello,

I'm attempting to install NetBSD (from official 1.5.2 ISO)
on a recently acquired Bondi Blue iMac.  The previous owner
didn't do much with it (it's still running MacOS 8.1), and
the original software CDs were lost.

Being a nearly incompetent MacOS user, I'm looking for
some recommendations before I do anything Really Bad...
(OTOH, I've been using *BSD for years, and have netboot
bootstrapped sparc and mvme NetBSD ports; just about
any way to avoid MacOS would be welcome)

1) The OpenFirmware identifies itself as version 3.0.f8.
The latest update (4.1.9 from Apple website) wants MacOS
version 9.(?) or better to run.  Is a new version
(firmware) required?  Is there an older version
(installer) that can read and program the latest image?

1b) The readme with the 4.1.9 firmware shows a
"programmer's button" that's supposed to be held down to
actually get the new firmware loaded - but the button
isn't there on this iMac?

2) The install notes and FAQ assume dual-boot configur-
ations.  I'd prefer to have NetBSD only.  Can this be
done on a single disk iMac?  Would it be likely to cause
grief later (eg, if MacOS were required for firmware
updates)?  If not a good idea, what partition size would
be good for a minimal install of MacOS (assuming I can
acquire CDs)?

3) If I repartition without MacOS, is it then possible
to write ofwboot.xfc using NetBSD?

4) According to the FAQ, the Bondi Blue may have USB
keyboard problems.  What's the status of this bug?  What
is the simplest way to see if this machine has it?  (I
don't have a problem with using 1.4.3 until it's fixed.)

I was originally intending to install OS/X, but found
out it needed a memory replacement/upgrade to work.  If
a reinstall of some MacOS is required, I'd prefer to go
that route.

TIA,
	-Neil