Subject: Re: PM 7500 Final report
To: Jeff Laughlin <jlaughli@vtc.edu>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/21/2002 22:00:34
Jeff Laughlin wrote:

> Overall the system seems stable, except for X. I've been using the
> blackbox window manager, so it's possible that is the cause of the
> freezes. Though it seems odd that something like blackbox or X could
> cause the kernel to hang. I can't even SSH into it when it freezes in X.
> I haven't tried getting in via serial. I suspect it's just that OFW
> 1.0.5 sucks. Everything related to it's video support seems to be flaky.
> So I probably just won't use X. Or maybe I'll try using TWM for a while
> and see if that has the same problems.

well, FWIW, I used to get hard crashes in X (on netbsd /i386) to
the point where networking would die: no ping, no ssh, nothing but
take the battery out and sit thru a tedious fsck. It's been a
while since it happened, so I can't quite recall how it was
resolved. X does of course use networking so I suppose it could
hang the kernel if it really wedged itself: I'm sure others can
clarify or completely contradict me, as i'm way out on a limb . .
. ;-)

No argument that OFW 1.0.5 is crap. I have *no* video, so nothing
to crash or hang the box . . . . . I guess.

Good luck with it.