Subject: Re: Booting Beige G3
To: NetBSD-ppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Stilwell <netbsd@hammock.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/21/2002 20:09:31
This is what did it!

Xavier HUMBERT wrote:

> In message <3C755B80.8070803@hammock.com>,
> Blair Stilwell wrote:
>

>>OpenFirmware lists no children under /pci/Apple53C875Card/ on the two
>>G3's with the Apple UltraWide SCSI card I have here.
>>

> IIRC, this card is an Atto. And there is a firmware updater on Atto's
> web site. Maybe you could try this ...

That is what did it!  I found an update for the SCSI card's firmware
(http:www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n25176) and updated the card's firmware
to version 1.2d1.  Once I did this and rebooted, I was able to see
sd@0,0 as a child of /pci/Apple53C875Card/ in OpenFirmware.  I'm now
able to boot NetBSD from bootxx installed on /dev/rsd0a, although I
haven't tried it many times or with many variations of the boot command.

We should work this firmare update into the install notes.  I'm not sure
whether it affects beige G3s with Open Firmare >= 2.4, but I'd imagine
they have the newer firmware on the SCSI card as well.  I'll be glad to
help add this to the documentation.

Thanks to all who helped!

Blair Stilwell