Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD on a partition
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Guyot <pguyot@kallisys.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/21/2002 10:47:43
>What is real-base set to? It needs to be f00000

That was it, I set it but didn't realize that booting to MacOS means
resetting it to default. BTW, I really need to reset-all or to reboot
after having changed this value.

Now, I have been having further problems. The path to NetBSD on a
partition of a G3 Beige Rev. A is long and tortuous.

I definitely can't tell ofwboot to load the kernel from the FFS
partition on my SCSI external hard drive. In the best case, it goes
resetting the SCSI bus and then the only way is to reboot.
I put the kernel on a CD next to ofwboot 1.5 (in current). The CD was
ISO 9660, without joliet (i.e. with default Toast settings).
I got:
console keyboard type: ADB
[ netbsd ELF symbol table not valid ]
[ no symbol table format found ]

Same problem whether the kernel is compressed or not.

I replaced the content of the CD by an image made with Install
Notes's mkhybrid options (joliet, version suffix) using ofwboot 1.2
(and still NetBSD current).
Then I finally booted the kernel. Until it tried to use the CD as the
root partition, and did not find init (surprising, heh?) and went
panic. It looks like I'll have soon NetBSD on this machine.

I don't know if it failed because it was ofwboot 1.5 or because the
CD wasn't a joliet 9660.

I'd prefer not build the kernel yet if possible. Is there a way to
tell the kernel to ask me where the root partition is? (I know it's
the inverse situation of the FAQ entry).
In case this is not possible, I guess that if latest macppc iso is
1.5.2, I'd better build a 1.5.2 and not try -current, wouldn't I?

Paul
--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/