Subject: Help needed installing on powerbook 3400c - Sorry if this is a standard question but I am really quite stuck!
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Doyle <pdoyle@ubiquity.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/20/2002 18:34:06
Hi,

I have trawled through the archives but not really found anything.  I am
new to this. =20
I have read the installation instructions, but I am stuck.  I have the
latest release of netbsd for ppc.

Here is the difficult bit:
PowerBooks 3400c with MacOS9.  I am not interested in keeping the MAC/OS

My old powerbook only has a ZIP drive.  I have no other peripherals.

Can I boot from the internal HD, and run the installation and then get
the needed files from the ZIP disk?

At the moment I have
boot.fs, BSDSUM, CKSUM, MD5, netbsd.ram.gz, ofwboot.elf, ofwboot.xcf,
SYSVSUM  all at the top level of the HD
and a directory: "binary" containing the files from the download.

So essentially I moved all the files in the installation dir, to the top
level and left all the other files in their dirs/subdirs.

I can boot to the openfirmware prompt using the recommended system disk
software, and I set all the relevant set-env's OK.

But everything that I do from there fails.

How can I boot the installation with the files as I have them set up
now? or can I do it of the ZIP disk?

What will happen after the initial boot procedure?  Does it begin a
sequence of package add style questions so that I can add
X, APACHE etc?

Sorry if this is a very old question, and thanks for anyone taking pity
on me!

Paul