Subject: Re: hmmm, how do I make my own working kernel?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/19/2002 21:42:50

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 07:28:39PM -0500, Joseph Sarkes wrote:
> > trap type 200 at 30fc10
>
> Ouch.  That's a "machine check" trap and might happen for one of a
> couple of different reasons.

Hmmm, bad instruction? no parity in these machines, is there?
something must be getting overwritten.

> > and at the bottom of the screen in small letters:
> > method <'usb-kbd-ihandles> not found; ihandle=ffbc4cc0 phandle=ff932530
>
> That shouldn't be a problem, if I recall correctly.

It is just annoying in that I end up with a stuck "metho" in
small letters in the lower left corner of the screen that won't
scroll away, since the terminal is using the inner part of the
screen. The terminal is HORRIBLY slow, reminiscent of an hp300
system. Hopefully I can use X on this system.

> > the machine is a new dual 1GHz G4.
>
> Ah.  Nice...  Is anyone else running on these yet?
>
> > kernel netbsd.GENERIC_MD but not anything else. Should I try some
> > different load address stuff like is in the config file for that
>
> Definitely try it and let us know if that works for you.  I'm not
> sure off-hand why it would make a difference on your machine, but
> not on others, though.

Well, it DID fix things. I just put the line from the MD kernel
into the bottom of my config file and voila :) but don't ask
me why it worked.

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net