Subject: Re: Booting Beige G3
To: port-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Stilwell <netbsd@hammock.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/19/2002 12:10:02
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Blair Stilwell wrote:

>>DEFAULT CATCH!,  code=FFF0080 at  %SRR0: FF8620B4  %SRR1: 00081070

<snip>
>>I've toggled the values of use-nvramrc?, real-base, load-base,
>>boot-device and boot-file with no progress.
>>

> Hmmm.... You should have f00000 for real-base, and 600000 for load-base.
>
> That's what I saw the times I tried to boot off of a scsi drive, both the
> default catch and the freeze. I saw the catch when I tried to boot
> ofwboot, and I get the freeze everythime I try to boot to MacOS X. If I
> boot into MacOS, then restart, I don't get the freeze.

I have realbase F00000 and loadbase 600000.  I wonder if the part that
is causing problems the first stage bootloader?  I used installboot as
follows (chroot'ed with /dev/sd0a as /):

/usr/mdec/installboot /boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rsd0c

After rebooting cleanly, at the OpenFirmware prompt, I have boot-device
   = scsi/sd@0:0 and boot-file = netbsd.  I then try just "boot" or
alternatively "boot sd@0:0" and get the catch.

Look OK so far?  Anyone else out there with OF 2.0f1 on a Beige G3/300
able to boot 1.5.x from a SCSI device?

Blair Stilwell