Subject: Re: Booting Beige G3
To: Blair Stilwell <netbsd@hammock.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/19/2002 09:31:43
On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Blair Stilwell wrote:

> I have a Beige G3/300 with OpenFirmware 2.0x.  I ran System Disk and
> patched the nvram, then ran booted the floppy installation (1.5.2) which
> completed successfully.  I installed to sd0 (scsi/sd@0 in OF), but now I
> can't boot.  From OpenFirmware I almost always get:
>
> DEFAULT CATCH!,  code=FFF0080 at  %SRR0: FF8620B4  %SRR1: 00081070
>
> when I try to boot to scsi/sd@0:0.  Sometimes instead the cursor just
> moves over a space, then freezes.  I also booted to the floppy installer
> and from a shell chrooted the SCSI disk and ran installboot, to no
> avail.  I've toggled the values of use-nvramrc?, real-base, load-base,
> boot-device and boot-file with no progress.

Hmmm.... You should have f00000 for real-base, and 600000 for load-base.

That's what I saw the times I tried to boot off of a scsi drive, both the
default catch and the freeze. I saw the catch when I tried to boot
ofwboot, and I get the freeze everythime I try to boot to MacOS X. If I
boot into MacOS, then restart, I don't get the freeze.

> Am I missing some important step that I overlooked in the FAQ, or is
> this version of OF just not going to be happy with the current bootstrap
> code in 1.5.2?  Is there way I can boot the kernel on sd0a from another
> drive?

Not sure. Booting has had such strange, dark parts that we are only now
clearing a few of them out.

Take care,

Bill