Subject: Booting Beige G3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Stilwell <netbsd@hammock.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/19/2002 09:53:37
I have a Beige G3/300 with OpenFirmware 2.0x.  I ran System Disk and
patched the nvram, then ran booted the floppy installation (1.5.2) which
completed successfully.  I installed to sd0 (scsi/sd@0 in OF), but now I
can't boot.  From OpenFirmware I almost always get:

DEFAULT CATCH!,  code=FFF0080 at  %SRR0: FF8620B4  %SRR1: 00081070

when I try to boot to scsi/sd@0:0.  Sometimes instead the cursor just
moves over a space, then freezes.  I also booted to the floppy installer
and from a shell chrooted the SCSI disk and ran installboot, to no
avail.  I've toggled the values of use-nvramrc?, real-base, load-base,
boot-device and boot-file with no progress.

Am I missing some important step that I overlooked in the FAQ, or is
this version of OF just not going to be happy with the current bootstrap
code in 1.5.2?  Is there way I can boot the kernel on sd0a from another
drive?

Thanks,

Blair Stilwell