Subject: Re: more questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2002 15:10:08
Those drives are all on the MESH (scsibus1), not esp0 (scsibus0).

Kevin Diggs wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     If this is the same 9500 you have wrote about before and these devices are on
> the mesh then it almost does not matter, since the mesh under NetBSD is NOT
> synchronous capable at this time (unless that has been recently fixed). You are
> not losing performance until you start talking about hanging non LVD devices on an
> LVD bus. This will disable Fast-40 for all devices on an LVD bus. The only problem
> you could bump into on the mesh is if you have a non-sync device on it and it is
> using a large portion of the bus bandwidth that could be more efficiently used by
> a faster device (3.3 MB per sec Vs 10 MB per sec).

Thanks.

another question: how can I get more information about devices on
the esp0 bus? I am trying to get a SCSI scanner to work in NetBSD
and SANE, and while the kernel and scsictl both see it for what it
is (and MacOS can see and use it), SANE doesn't.

:: dmesg | grep scanner
uk0 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: <UMAX, Astra 1200S, V2.7> SCSI2
6/scanner fixed

:: sudo scsictl uk0 identify
/dev/uk0: scsibus0 target 2 lun 0 <UMAX, Astra 1200S, V2.7>

sane-find-scanner: searching for SCSI scanners:
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uk0... open ok
sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner "  " at device /dev/uk0
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uk1... failed to open
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uk2... failed to open
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uk3... failed to open
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uk4... failed to open
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uk5... failed to open
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uk6... failed to open
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/ss0... failed to open
sane-find-scanner: searching for USB scanners:
sane-find-scanner: done