Subject: Re: PB 3400c comments/questions
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2002 14:46:52
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> At 12:06 PM -0800 2/18/02, David A. Gatwood wrote:
> >On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, S Lafredo wrote:
> >
> >>  I could not get it to work and gave up.
> >>
> >>  --- "Michael G. Schabert" <mikeride@mac.com> wrote:
> >>  > Has anyone ever gotten any use out of the built-in port on a 3400
> >>  > under NetBSD, or will I simply have to throw a PCMCIA card into my
> >>  > case? Lord knows a un*x machine isn't much use w/o Ethernet ;-)
> >
> >What does OF show for the ethernet controller's properties?  Isn't it just
> >a MACE?
>
> It's got a DEC 21041-TA chip on it, so the tulip or de driver would
> seem appropriate...My Q840AV has the mace ethernet. The 3400 ethernet
> and modem is a mini-PCI card.

Yeah, see my second comment.  :-)

> I didn't see anything in OF that stood
> out as the ethernet...the only thing that even hinted at ethernet was
> the /packages/obp-tftp. Here's a hand-copied ls of dev /
>
> 	/pci106b,1@B
> 	/pci1011,14@D
> 	/pci106b,7@E
> 	/chips65550@11
> 	/ti1130@13
> 	/ti1130@13,1

It's one of those, and it isn't the chips65550, 'cause that's your video.

Like I said, to my knowledge, it works with MkLinux, whose tulip driver
was ripped straight out of NetBSD apart from some tiny one-line patches
and I think massive changes to the probe/attach routines, so if it doesn't
work under NetBSD, it's probably some trivial issue with probing/attaching
and/or Open Firmware not enabling the device's I/O and config space or
similar.

Later,
David

                    Check out my weekly web comic: