Subject: Re: PB 3400c comments/questions
To: David A. Gatwood <slafredo@yahoo.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2002 16:06:20
At 12:06 PM -0800 2/18/02, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, S Lafredo wrote:
>
>>  I could not get it to work and gave up.
>>
>>  --- "Michael G. Schabert" <mikeride@mac.com> wrote:
>>  > Has anyone ever gotten any use out of the built-in port on a 3400
>>  > under NetBSD, or will I simply have to throw a PCMCIA card into my
>>  > case? Lord knows a un*x machine isn't much use w/o Ethernet ;-)
>
>What does OF show for the ethernet controller's properties?  Isn't it just
>a MACE?

It's got a DEC 21041-TA chip on it, so the tulip or de driver would
seem appropriate...My Q840AV has the mace ethernet. The 3400 ethernet
and modem is a mini-PCI card. I didn't see anything in OF that stood
out as the ethernet...the only thing that even hinted at ethernet was
the /packages/obp-tftp. Here's a hand-copied ls of dev /

/cpus@0
	/PowerPC,603ev@0
		/l2-cache@0,0
/chosen@0
/memory@0
/openprom@0
/AAPL,ROM@FFC00000
/options@0
/aliases@0
/packages@0
	/deblocker@0,0
	/disk-label@0,0
	/obp-tftp@0,0
	/mac-files@0,0
	/mac-parts@0,0
	/aix-boot@0,0
	/fat-files@0,0
	/iso9660-files@0,0
	/xcoff-loader@0,0
	/terminal-emulator@0,0
/bandit@F2000000
	/ohare@10
		/mesh@10000
			/sd@0,0
			/st@0,0
		/escc@13000
			/ch-a@13020
			/ch-b@13000
		/awacs@14000
		/media-bay@34
			/floppy@15000
			/ata@21000
				/atapi-disk@0,0
		/ata@20000
			/ata-disk@0,0
		/via-pmu@16000
			/adb@0,0
				/keyboard@0,0
				/mouse@1,0
			/nvram@0,0
			/rtc@0,0
			/power-mgt@0,0
			/battery@0,0
	/pci106b,1@B
	/pci1011,14@D
	/pci106b,7@E
	/chips65550@11
	/ti1130@13
	/ti1130@13,1

It's no biggie if it isn't supported as I have PC Cards...it's just
easier to plug a cord into the back of the machine than putting a
dongle and PC Card in when I want to connect.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.