Subject: Re: NetBSD: Try this
To: Jeff Laughlin <jlaughli@vtc.edu>
From: Paul Guyot <pguyot@kallisys.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2002 22:51:20
À (At) 1:01 -0500 18/02/02, Jeff Laughlin écrivait (wrote) :
>First I burned my own ISO CD using Nero on a Win 98 box using the
>following settings: ISO Level 2, Mode 1, ISO char set, Joliet
>extentions, no relaxed ISO restrictions. I don't know about other
>burners, your mileage may vary. But this was the only way I could
>burn a CD I could read in OFW.

I tried Toast to ISO 9660 and Toast with an image made with mkhybrid
as described in the install notes.

>I used dir in OFW to see the files on the CD. What I saw was
>MACPPC
>OFWBOOT.XCD;1
>NETBSDRAM.GZ;1
>I don't know where the ;1 came from, but it really was part of the file name.

It's the version suffix. I got this when I did mkhybrid to make an image.

>After I installed, I had to set load-base back to 600000 or I
>couldn't boot. And I still get "CATCH Default" errors more often
>than not when I try to boot.

My main problem is actually post-installation. Installation was fine
from 1.5.2 original CD (although I wasn't able to install packages
from the CD because I did not find which device it was, and
everything was installed from FTP), except the little detail on the
partition map flags.

I tried the following to boot to my partition with NetBSD:
* the bootloader on a CD with netbsd.GENERIC.gz on it.
The bootloader boots fine (depends on load-base settings with the
original bootloader, but with the one I compiled from source in
current, I never had the CLAIM failed althought the load-base is at
600000).
It can find the kernel (I compiled with debug on, so it tells me it did).
But it then crashes (saying:
no active package2931820+237444[100+106512)

* the bootloader on a CD with netbsd directly from my partition. It's
not clear from the install notes if this is a valid option with
OpenFirmware 2.0.x (mine is 2.0f1). When I'm lucky, the SCSI bus is
reset (I did apply nvramc patches). In any case, the boot loader
says: incompatible file type or format. Apparently, it cannot find
the ffs partition.

I actually did:
boot scsi/sd@6:0,OFWBOOT.XCF scsi/sd@0:3
and
boot scsi/sd@6:0,OFWBOOT.XCF -a
and then entered scsi/sd@0:3
and
boot scsi/sd@6:0,OFWBOOT.XCF scsi/sd@0:3/netbsd
and
boot scsi/sd@6:0,OFWBOOT.XCF -a
and then entered scsi/sd@0:3/netbsd
(the older ofwboot try /netbsd if I don't provide it, but not the 1.5
I got from current).

(I tried other values as well. First, I thought I should put 0:4
because the NetBSD root is the 4th partition, but apparently, it's
0-based).

I'm sure there is netbsd on this partition because when I boot from
the installation CD and choose CD and mount it, I can see it.

Any idea?

Paul
--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/