Subject: Re: can't boot Powerbook
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
From: Larry Landrum <Larry.Landrum@peer.state.ms.us>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2002 14:31:53
I've got real-base set to F00000 and load-base to 600000. My OF has aliases for ata0 and ata-int that point to the same device
(/pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ata0@20000). The only child under that point is "disk@0,0".

I have tried to boot ata0/disk@0:0, ata0/disk@0,0 and ata0/disk@0,0:0. I tried the same three disk names using the ata-int alias and spelling out the full path. The boot command always returns "can't OPEN: " followed by whatever path I have entered. If I type "boot ata0/xxx", I get the same can't open message. It seems to me that "disk@0,0" is not visible to the boot loader. When I was installing NetBSD, I had similar problems recognizing the boot floppy. I discovered that ejecting the floppy mechanism with the boot floppy inserted and then re-inserting the mechanism caused the bootloader to recognize the floppy. I then had success doing the same thing with the source sets on CD. Now I seem to have the same problem with the hard drive but can't think of a way to disconnect and then re-connect it.

If I just make up a device name and type "boot xxx/yyy", then it tries to boot into MacOS and fails.

Any more suggestions?