Subject: Re: PM 7500 success story & tips
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Laughlin <jlaughli@vtc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2002 15:27:30
At 09:40 PM 2/17/02 -0800, you wrote:
>if you had installed off the net (ie, just using a floppy) or otherwise
>had network access, I would recommend you get the pkgsrc   tarball and
>then bash will be available.
>or just set this:
>PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5/macppc/All
>and do "pkg_add bash"

I was able to download and install a bunch of packages, wow that is
painless! However when I try to get pkg_add to automatically download via
FTP I get the following error

bash-2.04# export
PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5/macppc/All
bash-2.04# pkg_add postgresql
ftp: connect to address 3ffe:8050:201:1860:2a0:c9ff:feed:b7ea: No route to host

That looks like an IPv6 address. Any clue why FTP is trying to use IPv6, or
how to make it NOT use it?

>>No ethernet device. The docs said it would be called either mc0, bm0, or
>>gm0. No such luck, none of those devices exist.
>I have to wonder if rebooting into sysinst and trying to install off the
>net wouldn't resolve this. have you tried going into /dev and using
>MAKEDEV to set up these devices? I'm guessing mc0 (your dmesg output would
>help).

Hmm, after examining the boot kernal messages I noticed that it IS
initializing an mc0 device, even tho it doesn't appear in /dev. However
when I added an ifconf_mc0 line to rc.conf and configured the other
networks settings I was able to get networking going A-OK. Thanks!

Things are looking up. I got bash and perl and apache installed. One
interesting thing I noted is that ssh uses a lot less CPU time on this 7500
than on my P2-200 Lunix box. A single scp thread at full tilt consumes
about 60% of the cpu on my lunix box, but only about 30% on the powermac.
The 604e is a hell of a CPU.

-Jeff