Subject: PB 3400c comments/questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2002 14:26:33
Hi guys,
I recently wrote about my experiences installing NetBSD onto my
PB3400. I just wanted to share where I am at the moment. I D/L'd Feb
9 source and cooked up a few kernels for tests on some issues. All of
my kernels have the wd0a hardwired as root so that I can have an
automatic boot. I was attempting to get the built-in Ethernet/modem
port to work (at least for Ethernet). Since I was getting errors
after ifconfig'ing tlp0 up, I decided to try uncommenting the "match"
for 21041, as that's what's reported in dmesg as the chip (and I have
a second card from a dead 3400 & can see that's what it uses). No
dice...I still got the
tlp0: filter setup and transmit timeout
error until I ifconfig the interface down. Next attempt commented out
all tlp instances and left the de* line. When I booted with this
kernel, dmesg matched my Ethernet with de0...but it reported it as an
Asante. Looking at the card, Apple's the only name silk-screened onto
the pcb, & I don't see anything marked Asante. On the side opposite
the 21041, there is a Lucent/Apple chip and a Rockwell chip (granted
the Rockwell's prolly for the modem functions).

Anyway, I ifconfig de0 192.168.1.6 netmask 255.255.255.0 and tried
telnetting to my alpha at 192.168.1.1, with no response. I remembered
reading the FAQ message about the date...and my date/time will always
be messed when I first enter NetBSD since I have to take apart the
machine to swap hard drives until I can get a media bay enclosure. So
I tried setting the date & still got nothing into or out of the
ethernet port (pings fail in both directions). I went back to the tlp
kernel to see if fixing the date would help with that driver...nope,
same message. :-(
Has anyone ever gotten any use out of the built-in port on a 3400
under NetBSD, or will I simply have to throw a PCMCIA card into my
case? Lord knows a un*x machine isn't much use w/o Ethernet ;-)

Also, speaking of PC Cards, I noticed that dmesg reports
cardbus...but the 3400 and the original G3 (3500) both just had
"regular" PCMCIA slots...type I, II, or III. Cardbus didn't debut on
the Mac laptops until the G3 Series. My Alpha correctly reports its
PC Card reader as PCMCIA, and the daemon process is pcic, while the
3400 uses a cardsomething as a daemon process to watch for card
insertions. Should that be changed/fixed? I have checked and all the
cards that work in my Alpha under NetBSD also work on the 3400.

One further question. My SOP with my NetBSD systems is to install a
few things like colorls and tcsh-standalone & some other little
interface enhancers. I noticed that colorls -laG does not yield color
output on the console. Is there any way to get color on the console?
When I startx and do ls (aliased to colorls -laG) I get the coolr
output, so I know that X can at least give me color.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.