Subject: Re: more questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/16/2002 01:28:58
> 3. my clock is losing time, like 10-20 minutes a day.  I suppose it
> could be the almost 7 year old battery.  shouldn't ntp keep the clock
> in sync, regardless of the battery's condition?

Well, as you point out, ntp has to be running.  But aside from that, if
the clock drifts badly enough, ntp won't be able to achieve lock; the
best it'll be able to do is keep stepping the clock.  I've found that
killing ntp, putting a large number (1000, 2000) in the drift file
manually, then restarting ntp can get ntp to sync up even with high
hardware drift.  (Once it locks on, it'll generally stay that way, and
after a while it'll rewrite the drift file with a more accurate value.)

10 minutes a day is .42- seconds a minute.  That's high enough that I
wouldn't be a bit surprised if ntp had trouble with it.	 Try putting
1000 in your drift file manually (I think positive numbers correspond
to the clock losing time).  Also try watching ntp's numbers to see how
it's doing....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign