Subject: more questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/15/2002 22:17:51
1. I seem to be having trouble recompiling a kernel: I think I may
have messed things up by sup'ing current into my src tree, but I'm
not sure. I have a custom kernel installed but trying to modify
the config and recompile yields a spate of errors.

Anyway, what's the best way to get back to a solid 1.5.2 source
tree? I have syssrc.tgz and am re-applying that. will that do it?

2. I'm curious about the notations SCSI1 and SCSI2 on these
devices: Mac OS hides a lot of these details. The dribes at sd0
and sd1 are both internal, so it's not like they have different
connectors to clue me in. So are most of these devices SCSI2, ie
twice as fast as the original equipment IBM drive at sd0? Or is
this referring to something else? Am I losing performance by
having a SCSI2 device on that internal bus (though a circa 1995
machine is going to be SCSI1 on both buses, I assume).

ss0 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: <UMAX, Astra 1200S, V2.7> SCSI2
6/scanner fixed
sd0 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <IBM, DPES-31080, S31S> SCSI1
0/direct fixed
cd0 at scsibus1 target 3 lun 0: <MATSHITA, CD-ROM CR-8005, 1.0k>
SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
sd1 at scsibus1 target 4 lun 0: <QUANTUM, FIREBALL SE2.1S, PJ0A>
SCSI2 0/direct fixed

3. my clock is losing time, like 10-20 minutes a day. I suppose it
could be the almost 7 year old battery. shouldn't ntp keep the
clock in sync, regardless of the battery's condition? I say that
with the confidence that ntp is running: I need to verify that . .
. .