Subject: First MacPPC install experiences *LONG*
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/14/2002 13:30:33
Hi there :-)

Background:
I've been using NetBSD/mac68k on my Q840AV pretty much since support
was added, and have been using NetBSD/alpha on my AS200 4/166 for
about 4 years. I decided to throw NetBSD onto a spare 2.5" hard drive
that I have for my PowerBook 3400 (my other PPC is a 7200...missed it
by *that* much).

Installation:
Installation wasn't *too* bad, but I had to go around some of
Sysinst's issues. I burned an ISO9660 CD with the snapshot tarballs,
& then proceeded to boot from the floppy module with an external CDRW
connected. It booted fine, so I went into sysinst. I got through the
partitioning OK (a single root and swap...no usr) & went on to select
the sets that I had downloaded (everything but xcomp and comp). When
I exited from there, it told me that it couldn't be completed because
kern.tgz wasn't part of the sets. Well, that's because I took the
kernel from the sets directory & it was named kern-GENERIC.tgz
(which, incidentally wouldn't show up as that on an 8.3 ISO). When I
told it to ignore the error & install the other sets, it threw up a
sh*tload of file system full errors (until I cmd-c'd), as if wd0a was
never mounted on /mnt. Well, I'm used to bypassing sysinst, as it
didn't exist when I installed onto my other systems, so I exited &
proceeded to make sure wd0a was mounted on /mnt, and that the CD was
mounted on /mnt2. I copied everything from the CD onto the hard drive
& unpacked the tarballs with "tar --unlink -zxpf blah.tgz" (yeah,
unlink's not necessary, but it's a habit ;-). Then I tried to boot &
got default-catch. My guess is that I had no partition zero
bootlader. I booted from the floppy again & mounted the wd0a...cd'd
into /mnt/usr/mdec & tried ./installboot to see the parameters. It
wasn't clear to me what exactly went where in what order, between
ofwboot, ofwboot.xcf and bootxx. Only the third argument was clear
(device). I went to my alpha and typed man installboot. The alpha
only requires two arguments. But it told me where the man page was,
and I had installed the man pages onto the PowerBook. cd
/mnt/usr/share/man/cat8/macppc...ls...hmm, no installboot.0. Ugh.
There is no man page for installboot. And yet the FAQ has a link to
http://www.tac.eu.org/cgi-bin/man-cgi?installboot+8.macppc+NetBSD-current
which is now a dead link. OK, new try. I burned another ISO, this
time renaming the kernel's tarball to kern.tgz. This time, it
complained that there was no kern-GENERIC.tgz. This is getting
amusing now. Mind you, it still complains even if I don't have kern
selected in sysinst, as that is a required package...and still, that
missing requirement seems to stop wd0a from being mounted on /mnt, as
it keeps giving me filesystem full messages when it tries to ignore &
move on. OK, final try. I de-selected *all* packages & told it to
move on...hoping that this would negate the filesystem full crap.
This time it did seem to be doing stuff. Since I didn't even put in
etc, the setting up of password & stuff failed...but it *did* do the
installboot for me! One other shortcoming of the sysinst is that it
doesn't seem to be able to read a disklabel. I often tried telling it
to use the existing partitions, but it always just showed a wd0c
partition, with no "a" or "b", so every time I would have to re-tell
it that I wanted custom partition, 1278M wd0a, and 99M wd0b. At any
rate, after doing that, I could then copy everything to the hard
drive & unpack successfully. I then got it to boot correctly into
netbsd :-). I did a mount -a to change /etc/rc.conf but suddenly vi
disappeared, even though it was there 10 seconds earlier to tell me
that the part was read-only (which I knew)...I needed to just mount
-rw / since I hadn't modified the fstab yet & it still showed a wd0g
partition :P. So after I modified both fstab and rc.conf, I was up in
multi-user :-). In all, it took a couple hours, including taking the
powerbook apart whenever I wanted to switch OSes. I wanna get one of
the MCE media bay cases for a hard drive, so that I can have both
OSes in the machine at once...the case isn't designed to be taken
apart as routinely as I am.

Now here are my operating quirks...

I'm experiencing the non-automatic boot where I must specify the root
device & stuff...I'll have to hard-code my kernel when I build one.

Next, a question regarding the built-in ethernet and modem. The 3400
actually uses a combo PCI card for the modem and ethernet. I didn't
happen to see anything resembling the modem passing in my dmesg, so
the secondary function may not be supported. Additionally, I see
tlp0, so I assume that's the card's ethernet function. When I
ifconfig the interface to be up (whether or not a network is
attached), I get the following constantly until I ifconfig down and I
can't telnet to my other NetBSD machines:

tlp0: filter setup and transmit timeout

This is with the Dec 21 snapshot. I'll probably try turning out a
kernel in a few days, with de* instead of tlp* to see if that behaves
any better, but would welcome any other advice. Worst case scenario I
have a few PCMCIA cards with Ethernet as well as modem, so I'm not
overly concerned.

Thanks,
Mike
--