Subject: Re: Re: Re: ibook : *painfull* but almost there
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jean-Baptiste Fargier <philobsd@free.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/07/2002 01:58:36
Hello Robert,

installing NetBSD is not so difficult as long as you read carefully how
to do it !
For a late 2001 ibook you'll need to look for the latest snapshot :

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/snapshot/20011221-1.5ZA/

You will have to create new slices on your disk, it is to say you will
need to reinstall macos and/or macosx too.

Then you'll need to put
ofwboot.xcf , netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz
on your macos partition

Then boot to get the openfirmware prompt and type
boot hd:9,ofwboot.xcf hd:9,/netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz (for eg. hd 9 is your
first macos partition).

Just follow the document ( boot the GENERIC_MD kernel, create filesystem
on your netbsd dedicated slice(s), mount , edit with cat ( sic!) your
fstab , install the system ( i choose the ftp install, rather easy but
you'll need the right path to the snapshot ,etc..)
again : *JUST READ & FOLLOW  THE DOC*

Now you'll save much time because we now have a working kernel ( ie.
you'll be able to use your keyboard :) ) here it is :

http://philobsd.free.fr/NetBSD/netbsd.IBOOK.gz

( it's a GENERIC kernel from -current with INSECURE and OFB_CACHE_ENABLE
options)

put it on your macos slice and boot simply :

boot hd:9,ofwboot.xcf hd:9,/netbsd.IBOOK.gz

Now you have a working system to begin with ...

For me there are still some issues as i don't use a QWERTY keyboard but
a french AZERTY one (no | and ~ keys while in console ; still unable to
get a french keyboard on XFree86-4.2, quittting XFree86 server dumps
crap colours on your console ..)

But it's stable & fast & i must admit i didn't have time yet, to try to
fix them.

Once more, read the documentation, my explanations were given only to
describe (roughly) how to install NetBSD on your ibook so that you
could  get an idea of the process.

Jean-Baptiste.