Subject: (1.5.2) console scrolls terribly slow (Re: G4 drive-sharing OF problems).
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Makoto Fujiwara <makoto@ki.nu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/07/2002 08:16:55
Peter> Still slow though. Slows down between: boot device:wd0   and: root on wd0a
Peter> dumps on wd0b   lines in the opening dmesg. Screen refreshes parade down the
Peter> screen taking three or four seconds to get to the bottom. Anyone else had
Peter> this problem? Could I change the terminal type? Upgrade OF?

I had installed 1.5.2 on G4/400 AGP yesterday for just a test, and I felt
very much the same thing.

While showing the drivers at kernel initialization the screen scrolls fast.
But when /etc/rc or equivalent is doing, the scroll gets unpatiently slow.
It continues till I type startx on root login. (X redraw window is also slow).

I was using the same machine with -current + installed X. It was not so slow.
Today, I am using XF4.0.1 + patch so it runs just a normal speed.

Just for your information,
---
Makoto Fujiwara