Subject: G4 drive-sharing OF problems.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Fairbrother <peter.fairbrother@ntlworld.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/06/2002 19:54:14
I am having problems installing 1.5.2 on my G4 400 AGP, sharing a disk with
MacOS 9 and MacOS X (and OpenBSD and another two OS's). (No nasty OF updates
yet.)

I followed the instructions in the install notes about creating A/UX
partitions, newfs'ing them etc and not installing a disklabel. Disklabel
finds the right partitions and I have installed the sets OK, but I can't
boot the kernel in the partition created.

I can boot a GENERIC.gz kernel on a MacOS partition, and it sees the fs and
installed sets, root is on wd0a, so there is something there. Incidently the
terminal is slooowwwww.

Trying to boot (boot hd:10,ofwboot.xcf hd:11,bsd) causes OF (I assume) to
give the error "MAC-PARTS: Specified partition is not validopen hd:11,bsd:
Device not configured.".

Any suggestions on how to mark the partition bootable/validopen/whatever (if
that's the problem)?

-- Peter Fairbrother

ps: I had it installed and booting a kernel on an A/UX partition before,
sadly I don't remember how, I hadn't read the 1.5.2 install notes then, as
far as I remember it seemed to install fine using the usual method and not
break MacOS or anything else.

I daren't reinstall it that way now because there is a lot of stuff on the
disk, and it's just taken me four days to reinstall everything else from
scratch/backup after major surgery.

pps: Is there a limit to the number of partitions on a drive?

ppps: a tip if you want to change the Apple partition map without destroying
partitions (OF3 only): get the cd30.fs image from OpenBSD, burn it to CD,
boot it, choose shell, run pdisk, and change what you want. If you create a
new Apple_HFS partition and reboot into MacOS 9 it will initialise the
partition for you. Sadly, you can't resize existing partitions.