Subject: Re: Adaptec scsi controller question
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/05/2002 09:39:11
>|  ahc0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0
>|  ahc0: interrupting at irq 23
>|  ahc0: aic7896/97 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
>
>  I think it's perusing the internal BIOS settings, stored somewhere
>on the card? Perhaps put the card in a PC, go into the bios and
>check whether wide transfers are enabled?
>
>	mjl

The card has NVRAM, but the "bios" doesn't do anything on MacPPC, unless
NetBSD uses the Open Firmware.  (I've read elsewhere that people have had
trouble with that)

The NVRAM on the card is used by the Adaptec drivers under MacOS and windows,
and can be examined from the MacOS side with a utility called "Power Domain
Control", which can be downloaded from Adaptec's web site.  However,
unless the NetBSD ahc driver *uses* the NVRAM - i.e. uses the values
stored there in the same way as the Adaptec drivers, I would be
cautious about making statements about the NVRAM's effects on
operations of the card.

-dgl-