Subject: Re: helping out a friend
To: None <charlie.root@pandora.be>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/04/2002 14:30:07
On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:27:41PM +0100, charlie.root@pandora.be wrote:
> first the facts: G4 500MP, OF v.3, 320 mb ram, 1 disk:40gb HD,
> DVD-ram, gigabit ethernet.
> no external HDD, no floppy., so we will proceed from an iso cd image
> Q1: is it possible to use the dvd-ram to make backups? if yes, howto?

I'm not sure.  If it works something like CD-RW, you may be able to use
tools like cdrecord to burn discs.

> Q2: is the second processor to be supported somewhere in the future?

Definitely.

> Q3: is it possible to boot from the dvd-ram altogether? if no,  can i
> recover the HFS+ partition that i will be using to install for future
> use (as /var for instance) under netbsd?

You should be able to boot from the DVD--I believe it will appear as a
CD drive.  Will it?

> Q4: the machine comes with a belgian/flemish AZERTY keyboard, wich is
> a pest as there are many different AZERTYs out there. anybody a
> pointer to a comprehensive howto for these monsters?

Sorry -- no.  :-(
If you can find the mapping, though, we should be able to update NetBSD
to support it.  We do have support for the French AZERTY already.  See
src/sys/dev/usb/ukbdmap.c for the USB keyboard maps.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...