Subject: Re: USB-to-SCSI bridges
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/04/2002 10:41:48
On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Donald Lee wrote:

: >Oddly enough, I haven't seen *any* USB-1 SCSI widgets that support more than
: >one device.  In fact, the umass scsibus attachment is hardwired that way.
: >Makes me wonder if that's in the USB-1 spec.  8-)
:
: Adaptec's adapter has two "modes", one where it actually tries to be a
: "real" SCSI bus, via MacOS and some magic in the firmware, and another
: where it presents (one) device (at ID 0) as a "Mass Storage" device.

Adaptec's widget, to my knowledge, will only run under the ID0-only mode
under NetBSD.  The device presents two USB entities:  a "regular" umass and
a proprietary "firmware options loader".  I do not know if the former acts
like a standard umass from NetBSD's perspective.

: NetBSD must support this type of device as it would a USB disk, no?
: If so, then the Adaptec device would be similar to the others under
: NetBSD.

...Meaning only one device on the bus.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.