Subject: Re: USB-to-SCSI bridges
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/03/2002 21:09:35
>On 30 Jan 2002, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
>
>: Yes. I have a Microtech USB-SCSI adapter, and it works as well under
>: NetBSD as it does under other operating systems. That particular model
>: has the limitation of only supporting devices at SCSI ID 0, though. I
>: have my scanner hooked up to it now.
>
>Oddly enough, I haven't seen *any* USB-1 SCSI widgets that support more than
>one device.  In fact, the umass scsibus attachment is hardwired that way.
>Makes me wonder if that's in the USB-1 spec.  8-)

Adaptec's adapter has two "modes", one where it actually tries to be a
"real" SCSI bus, via MacOS and some magic in the firmware, and another
where it presents (one) device (at ID 0) as a "Mass Storage" device.

NetBSD must support this type of device as it would a USB disk, no?
If so, then the Adaptec device would be similar to the others under
NetBSD.

Under MacOS, though, the Adaptec device has some real advantages, working
in circumstances that the others won't.

-dgl-