Subject: Re: ibook : *painfull* but almost there
To: Jean-Baptiste Fargier <philobsd@nerim.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/01/2002 12:26:58
On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Jean-Baptiste Fargier wrote:

> So far i could :
>
> --Install NetBSD on my late2001 ibook with the GENERIC_MD kernel from the
> last snapshot.
>
> --Cross compile a kernel 1-5-3_ALPHA (couldn't compile the one from -current
> with a host that is 1-5-3_ALPHA) and use it to boot : really nice because it's
> the ONLY kernel that would boot ( all kernels available from 1.5.2 to latest
> snap. wouldn't except GENERIC_MD ) but still i have *no keyboard recognized* so
> each time i want to edit a file i have to boot with GENERIC_MD, mount
> /dev/wd0a and use cat or get my conf files by ftp :((

You should be able to compile a -current kernel from 1.5. I am. What you
*will* need is the -current version of config. The one in 1.5.x won't
work.

> --set up rc.conf to configure the network card and to launch sshd :)

Cool!

That's what I did with my Blue G3 when we were still getting USB working.

> so here are some questions that would really help me to finish that painfull
> process :
>
> 1/ what is the default password of root , or toor just after the install ?

""

> 2/ is there a -current kernel available somewhere with keyboard support for
> late2001ibooks ?
>
> 3/ is it possible to send options to netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz so that it would
> mount /dev/wd0a as it's root device upon boot ?

What is it that the non-MD ones do? The main thing that they are supposed
to do is include a root file system in the kernel. So if GENERIC kernels
don't like your filesystems, I don't think a GENERIC_MD one pointed
elsewhere will. Not sure though.

Take care,

Bill