Subject: Re: loadable kernel modules?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/25/2002 17:44:15
--c7rykKtsZvepKFKR

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 08:14:32PM +0000, Chris Pinnock wrote:
> The GENERIC macppc kernel has support built in for loadable kernel=20
> modules in 1.5.2.

Except that you can't actually load them for any powerpc port
because the linker doesn't know the right kind of jump to use to
different segments of memory). There are several theoretical ways
around this. None are what I'd call pretty (and I speak from having
tinkered with several of those ways).

I have some gcc/ld hacks sketched out for this and there's been A
LOT of discussion on it on port-macppc and tech-kern in the past
(check mail-index.netbsd.org... if the search function is still
broken, then use Google's site: option).

Note that LKMs on NetBSD, even on ports where they work, are not
quite so common nor quite so useful as they are under Linux.
(They're designed for development, not production.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--c7rykKtsZvepKFKR