Subject: Xfree much to slow
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <rens.emmanuel@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/25/2002 18:48:05
Hello,

I have insalled Netbsd 1.5.2 on a G4 tower AGP 450 and the success is
not total. The graphic functionnalities are extremely slow and the
resolution is bad. As an example it is almost impossible to use
Mozilla when Lynx seems ok. I updated however the kernel and Xfree,
as advised in the documentation, with options INSECURE and
OFB_ENABLE_CACHE: without any improvement. The boot console is as
slow as usual and I had to go back to the preceding version of Xfree
because of - I suppose - configuration problems. The display manager
could not even start, messages gave something like:

- fatal error: no open screen
- wsconsfg: "ADDSCREEN: cannot allocate memory"
- ukbd0: bad call on 1

I get also the last two messages  with the original version of Xfree,
but at least it boots.

I've read somewhere taht "/dev/wkbd should be edited" but I can't
find how. I would be very grateful if you help me:

-  setup Xfree correctly for my devices (see the demsg hereafter)
-  make sure that my ppp adsl connection runs as fast as it could (do
I have to set a speed ?)
- set my environment to display my regional character set (fr_CH) (I
can't find a way!)

Additionnaly I would like to learn how to:

- allocate more memory to a (slow) application
- make an alias for a directory (I did not create a dedicated
partition for /var and it should be in the same partition as /usr
with an alias in /)

I apologize for disturbing you with basic problems that you probably
encounter too often. My purpose in installing Netbsd is to take
advantage of its impressive portability and text functionnalities in
the context of philosophical study. I have programmed elementary
logic tools in Perl, based on the works of Quine and Lukasiewicz,
that will help me (I hope) understand more complex areas of the
philosophy of logics like modality. I would be interessed to learn
too about existing logic programs and projects that could meet these
concerns, specially in the unix domain.

Thanking you in advance,

Emmanuel Rens (former student at the University of Geneva)

more dmesg.boot (recorded before I changed the kernel)

GENERIC) #10: Sat Aug 18 14:29:39 PDT 2001
    matt@duel.local:/u1/kobj/GENERIC
CPU: 7400 (Revision 207)
total memory = 384 MB
avail memory = 343 MB
using 2867 buffers containing 19760 KB of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: 1MB backside cache
uninorth0 at mainbus0
pci0 at uninorth0 bus 0
pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled
pchb0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
pchb0: Apple Computer UniNorth AGP Interface (rev. 0x00)
ofb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies product 0x5046
ofb0: 1024 x 768, 8bpp
wsdisplay0 at ofb0: console (std, vt100 emulation)
uninorth1 at mainbus0
pci1 at uninorth1 bus 0
pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled
pchb1 at pci1 dev 11 function 0
pchb1: Apple Computer UniNorth Host-PCI Bridge (rev. 0x00)
ppb0 at pci1 dev 13 function 0: Digital Equipment DECchip 21154 PCI-PC
I Bridge (rev. 0x05)
pci2 at ppb0 bus 1
pci2: i/o space, memory space enabled
ahc0 at pci2 dev 3 function 0
ahc0: interrupting at irq 53
ahc0: aic7850 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/255 SCBs
scsibus0 at ahc0 channel 0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
obio0 at pci2 dev 7 function 0: addr 0x80000000
zsc0 at obio0 offset 0x13000: irq 22,50
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1
awacs0 at obio0 offset 0x14000: irq 24,1,9
audio0 at awacs0: full duplex
adb0 at obio0 offset 0x16000 irq 47: 0 targets
aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device
wdc0 at obio0 offset 0x1f000 irq 19: DMA transfer
wd0 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 0: <WDC WD205BA>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd0: 19574 MB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 40088160 s
ectors
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4
wdc1 at obio0 offset 0x20000 irq 20: DMA transfer
atapibus0 at wdc1 channel 0
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8584A, , s15C> type 5 cd
rom removable
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
sd0 at atapibus0 drive 1: <IOMEGA  ZIP 100       ATAPI, , 04.H> type 0
 direct removable
sd0: drive offline
sd0: drive supports PIO mode 3, DMA mode 1
wdc2 at obio0 offset 0x21000 irq 21: DMA transfer
ohci0 at pci2 dev 8 function 0: Apple Computer KeyLargo USB Controller
 (rev. 0x00)
ohci0: interrupting at irq 27
ohci0: OHCI version 1.0
usb0 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: Apple Computer OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ohci1 at pci2 dev 9 function 0: Apple Computer KeyLargo USB Controller
 (rev. 0x00)
ohci1: interrupting at irq 28
ohci1: OHCI version 1.0
usb1 at ohci1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1 at usb1
uhub1: Apple Computer OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
Texas Instruments TSB12LV23 OHCI IEEE 1394 Host Controller (Firewire s
erial bus, interface 0x10) at pci2 dev 10 function 0 not configured
uninorth2 at mainbus0
pci3 at uninorth2 bus 0
pci3: i/o space, memory space enabled
pchb2 at pci3 dev 11 function 0
pchb2: Apple Computer UniNorth Host-PCI Bridge (rev. 0x00)
gm0 at pci3 dev 15 function 0: Ethernet address 00:0a:27:af:c7:de
gm0: interrupting at irq 41
ukphy0 at gm0 phy 0: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
ukphy0: BCM5201 10/100 media interface (OUI 0x001018, model 0x0021),
rev.
 2
ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
ahc0: target 2 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0x8
sd1 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: <QUANTUM, MAVERICK 270S, 0901> SCSI2
0/di
rect fixed
sd1: 258 MB, 2853 cyl, 2 head, 92 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 528879 sectors
uhub2 at uhub1 port 1
uhub2: Alps Electric Hub in Apple USB Keyboard, class 9/0, rev
1.10/2.10,
 addr 2
uhub2: 3 ports with 2 removable, bus powered
ukbd0 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
ukbd0: Alps Electric Apple USB Keyboard, rev 1.10/1.02, addr 3,
iclass 3/
1
wskbd1 at ukbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
ums0 at uhub2 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
ums0: Fujitsu Takamisawa Component Apple Optical USB Mouse, rev
1.10/1.06
, addr 4, iclass 3/1
ums0: 1 buttons
wsmouse1 at ums0