Subject: Re: Blue&White 333 G3+Open+30 users?
To: SirStargazer <rrodrig743@earthlink.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/24/2002 05:50:10
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, SirStargazer wrote:

> I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 (450PII 256 RAM RAID5) sitting next to a
> Blue (off-green?) and white G3 (333 Mhz 128RAM OpenFirmware SCSI HD?) in
> a lab.  The NT4 install on the compaq is about at its end.  Given that
> OpenBSD will install on the G3? and the compaq, witch will support 35+
> simultaneous users (+samba +netatalk +dhcpd no X server needed) better?

But this is a NetBSD list. You must mean NetBSD and not OpenBSD right?

Both machines are good, but I'd liberate that memory and disk array from
the Intel machine and use the Risc if it was me... If the disk array is
internal, use the Intel box.

Depending on what these users are doing, either machine should handle that
kind of job witout much flinching.

More memory is usually always better than less memory. I'd say the Apple
will probably win the CPU horsepower contest though.

Andy

acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org