Subject: Re: Internet settings NEW
To: Jeff Hergan <jeff@praeclara.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/23/2002 15:18:21
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Jeff Hergan wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 22, 2002, at 06:41 PM, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Anton Kiland wrote:
> >
> I was in a 'talk' session with Anton for a long time today trying to get
> him running.
> He wants the NetBSD machine to run httpd, a mailserver (POP3), and ftpd.
> He also wants the NetBSD box to run sshd for his home network.  And he
> wants to share his one, dynamic IP with two other machines.  And he has
> only one network card.  I told him he's got his work cut out for himself.

You can do it though. You just run two different networks on the one card.
One is the IP from the ISP (via dhclient) and the other is the in-home
network.

Getting a second card though would be easier. :-)

> > Oh, if your ISP is giving you a dynamic IP address, registering things
> > in
> > DNS could be tricky.
>
> I was thinking he could maybe use dyndns.com or something similar.  But
> he says that his IP never changes, unless he reboots--which he won't do,
> and won't have to do with NetBSD.  Maybe his cousin can set up DNS with
> his current IP addy to at least try to get things working.

That would work, but unless he never updates software and he gets a UPS,
he will be rebooting. :-) Not much, but it'll happen.

> Any further suggestions as to how to proceed would be great,
> particularly regarding the DHCP setup (I always had static IPs and I'm
> not at all familiar with it).
> Is it correct to assume that as long as the dhcp config file is in /etc
> and rc.conf has the line added (which someone suggested before:
> dhclient=YES) that it will 'just work'?

/etc/dhclient.conf, and it doesn't need much in it.

For running the in-house net too, adding something like:

alias_subnet_mask="255.255.255.0" # or whatever is right
alias_ip_address="172.16.0.1" # or whatever

to /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks (could be elsewhere, but that's where I have
it) should set up the alias network.

> Finally, is there a way to allow telnetting as root?  I scoured the man
> pages and couldn't find anything about this.  And yes, I recognize that
> it's a grave security risk, but it will be on a closed home network, so
> it won't be a problem.

Just say no. :-) putty works for Windows, and there are ssh programs for
MacOS (MacOS X comes w/ ssh built in).

Take care,

Bill