Subject: Re: Internet settings NEW
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Hergan <jeff@praeclara.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/22/2002 19:03:49
On Tuesday, January 22, 2002, at 06:41 PM, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Anton Kiland wrote:
>
>> i do not have any domain registered
>>
>> telia.com is the company who serves my internet (Telia)
>>
>> and kiland.com is bought by my cousin and he just lets me have an email
>> address there...
>>
>> but i will register a name sometime in the future
>
> You don't need to register a domain if you don't want to. You only
> need a
> domain if you want other computers to reach you. If you want only to
> reach
> the outside world, you're fine w/o.

I was in a 'talk' session with Anton for a long time today trying to get
him running.
He wants the NetBSD machine to run httpd, a mailserver (POP3), and ftpd.
He also wants the NetBSD box to run sshd for his home network.  And he
wants to share his one, dynamic IP with two other machines.  And he has
only one network card.  I told him he's got his work cut out for himself.

> If you want to set up a web server others can reach, you will either
> need
> to get a domain, or maybe ask your cousin to register a name for you.

That's a good idea.  I'll suggest that.  But...

> Oh, if your ISP is giving you a dynamic IP address, registering things
> in
> DNS could be tricky.

I was thinking he could maybe use dyndns.com or something similar.  But
he says that his IP never changes, unless he reboots--which he won't do,
and won't have to do with NetBSD.  Maybe his cousin can set up DNS with
his current IP addy to at least try to get things working.

Any further suggestions as to how to proceed would be great,
particularly regarding the DHCP setup (I always had static IPs and I'm
not at all familiar with it).
Is it correct to assume that as long as the dhcp config file is in /etc
and rc.conf has the line added (which someone suggested before:
dhclient=YES) that it will 'just work'?

Also a question about sshd.  He tried to start sshd but got an
error...uhh...damn I can't remember what it was.  But it sounded weird
(as if that helps) and I didn't recognize it.
Should sshd just work?  I seem to recall just typing 'sshd &' and having
it work the last time I ran it.

Finally, is there a way to allow telnetting as root?  I scoured the man
pages and couldn't find anything about this.  And yes, I recognize that
it's a grave security risk, but it will be on a closed home network, so
it won't be a problem.

Thanks.

Jeffrey P. Hergan, Ph.D
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy